Torn in two – should we adopt littermates today?
My partner and I lost our dog recently and are dealing with the heartbreak by seeking a rescue to adopt. We met siblings yesterday and fell in love. They are not in great shape and clearly need help.
We have done extensive reading on the terrible things that can happen when you adopt siblings who are too deeply bonded — anxiety and other behavioral issues, aggression, obedience problems. We are also anticipating more than twice the work and high cost of care.
I was ready to say we’d just take one and check in a week to adopt her brother if he was still without a home. Now the rescue is saying they will not let them be adopted separately.
So what to do? Disregard the overwhelming advice against it, and take them both?
Leave them to be adopted by a family that is not prepared for the issues and may end up re-homing, re-surrendering or even euthanizing one?
Last notes: -the rescue org gives me the impression that they don’t take littermate syndrome seriously, which makes me worry that without our help, these puppies could end up in a much worse situation
-I work for myself and am able to spend a lot of time with them, rarely leaving them home alone.
-we don’t have other pets or children in the household.
we have to decide TODAY!
TL;DR: the rescue says we can take both or neither, and we only want to do what is in the dogs’ best interests! Please give advice if you have any!
Many thanks 🙂